(Not the type to wait around, you know)
For Athena's birthday we decided it would be fun to take her and Sage to the Princess Festival. How I got there was a bit painstaking, but it was well worth it.
I'm not a huge fan of the Princess movement, the Princess race or culture for that matter. Honestly, it can get overwhelming and frankly, expensive. But after seeing the billboard a few times, I thought I'd check out the website and see what the festival was all about.
Well, lo and behold, it was something after my own heart. It's put on by a charity and the proceeds go to help villages in Kenya. Oh, fine...I guess I could consider it then. I began remembering how much fun Sage had at Disneyland and just how freakin magical it could all be, and decided to do it.
I'm not a huge fan of the Princess movement, the Princess race or culture for that matter. Honestly, it can get overwhelming and frankly, expensive. But after seeing the billboard a few times, I thought I'd check out the website and see what the festival was all about.
Well, lo and behold, it was something after my own heart. It's put on by a charity and the proceeds go to help villages in Kenya. Oh, fine...I guess I could consider it then. I began remembering how much fun Sage had at Disneyland and just how freakin magical it could all be, and decided to do it.
After I paid for it all, I realized that neither Sage or Athena had princess dresses. Whoops! I knew I was going to shell out at least $20 per costume and considering that those things fall apart as soon as you sneeze on them, I decided that if I was going to have to spend that kind of money, it was going to last, darn it. So, I thought, 'Hey, making them won't be that hard!'
Well, apparently I chose 2 of the most confusing patterns ever. It did take me quite a while, and I had offered to do my best friend's little girl's dress as well, which ironically was the easiest and honestly and I liked it the best, but they got done and are going to last.....darn it. Athena was a multi colored Tinkerbell, Sage was a psychedelic Cinderella. Nonetheless, I've done my sewing for the year.
Okay, so, the day of the festival arrives! It's raining! Yea! not.
But luckily, it wasn't a downpour and they got to enjoy the full festival. I took Ellie, Sage, Athena, neighbor India, best friend's daughter Tayla and poor Zephyr, surrounded by mounds and mounds of estrogen.
The festival was in Lindon, about 20 minutes away, tucked in this out of the way obscure spot. You never would have guessed what was there. I wish there were more pictures that adequately portrayed how cute it was, but alas I didn't take any, nor could I find any online, but there is this short youtube video .
Anyway, they start off by trekking us to this little cabin 'in the woods' to help rescue a princess. Well, that was enough to send Athena packing. There's something out there that has endangered a princess? Well, Athena doesn't take chances and she was not about to put her life in jeopardy, so she pretty much was glued to me for the majority of the presentation afterward.
They then led us next door to Rapunzel's tower, where she was in the top of the tower with her hair hanging down asking us to save her. Again, Athena was not impressed. Why would someone do that, mommy? Where's the man that did that? Oy!

But we went in the courtyard castle, and everyone but Athena went up the stairs and in to the tower to save Rapunzel. It was super fun time precious. Then we were led to another castle where.....
Well, apparently I chose 2 of the most confusing patterns ever. It did take me quite a while, and I had offered to do my best friend's little girl's dress as well, which ironically was the easiest and honestly and I liked it the best, but they got done and are going to last.....darn it. Athena was a multi colored Tinkerbell, Sage was a psychedelic Cinderella. Nonetheless, I've done my sewing for the year.
Okay, so, the day of the festival arrives! It's raining! Yea! not.
But luckily, it wasn't a downpour and they got to enjoy the full festival. I took Ellie, Sage, Athena, neighbor India, best friend's daughter Tayla and poor Zephyr, surrounded by mounds and mounds of estrogen.
The festival was in Lindon, about 20 minutes away, tucked in this out of the way obscure spot. You never would have guessed what was there. I wish there were more pictures that adequately portrayed how cute it was, but alas I didn't take any, nor could I find any online, but there is this short youtube video .
Anyway, they start off by trekking us to this little cabin 'in the woods' to help rescue a princess. Well, that was enough to send Athena packing. There's something out there that has endangered a princess? Well, Athena doesn't take chances and she was not about to put her life in jeopardy, so she pretty much was glued to me for the majority of the presentation afterward.
They then led us next door to Rapunzel's tower, where she was in the top of the tower with her hair hanging down asking us to save her. Again, Athena was not impressed. Why would someone do that, mommy? Where's the man that did that? Oy!
But we went in the courtyard castle, and everyone but Athena went up the stairs and in to the tower to save Rapunzel. It was super fun time precious. Then we were led to another castle where.....
Then we head up the stairs where all the princesses we've met (Blue fairy, Sleeping Beauty, Briar Rose, Cinderella, Aurora, Snow White, Jasmine....I'm sure I'm missing one) teach us how to properly dance with the man of your dreams. Here we are introduced to some Kenyan Princesses. Okay, honestly, here is where I lost it.
They had flown 4 Kenyan girls over to participate in this whole thing. I totally started crying. I mean, I suspected they were from Kenya seeing as how they were the only dark skinned in the bunch and they were clearly not from the US and they were sooooooo incredibly happy to be there, and a bit confused. It was just crazy how real this group made it for all of us. Our money really was going to this cause of helping others across the globe. Bless their giving souls!!!
Afterward the girls got a chance to dance with all the princes, take photos, and then out the door we went to have a tea party, jump on the trampoline with Tinkerbell and play on the playground.
On top of it all they were given a free necklace, ring or bracelet. All in all, it was a great day, and we're planning on it next year! It was worth the money, effort and rain. Happy big 4, Athena!
4 comments:
Love the post. I can't believe little Zephyr is almost one! Crazy! What a good trooper to put up with so many women.
Wow that looks like fun! Love the costumes too!!!!!!!!!!!!!
How fun!! You're the Mom!
Looks like loads of, erm, fluffy dresses and (for our daughters I'm sure) ....fun. That carriage alone would be worth the trouble to go. Sweet crazy princesses!
Post a Comment